Others' claim to be Caribbean experts. We prove it. Every call. Every email, Every chat.
There’s nothing quite like that first festive glass of juice, local rum or other magical mix of ingredients to say “Hey! I’m on holiday!” Different islands have their spin on longtime standards, and some local bartenders have created new Caribbean favorites. Here are a few you shouldn’t miss. Cheers!
5. Cayman Lemonade: A grown-up twist to a summertime treat, this may soon be your “go to” drink for lounging by the pool.
1 oz vodka; 1 oz Triple Sec; 3 oz Peach Schnapps; 1 splash cranberry juice; 1 splash club soda; lemon or lime slice for garnish. Mix vodka, Triple Sec and Peach Schnapps in a shaker. Pour over ice. Add a squeeze of lime, splash of cranberry juice and club soda. Stir lightly, garnish and enjoy!
4. Jamaican Crawler: Too many of these, and you may be crawling back to your hotel!
1 oz light rum; 1 oz melon liqueur; 3 oz pineapple juice; 1 splash Grenadine syrup; garnish – lime slice and Maraschino cherry. Combine rum, melon liqueur and juice. Add ice, and stir well. Pour into a Collins glass. Add Grenadine syrup on top, garnish with lime and cherry.
3. Vincent’s Grenadian Dream: This aptly named beverage was the mastermind of Mount Cinnamon Resort bartender Sheldon Vincent. You don’t have to visit Grenada to get one (though we highly recommend it!).
1oz Grenadian light rum; 1oz Grenadian dark rum; 1oz Cherry brandy; 1oz Apricot brandy; 3oz Fresh Orange Juice
Garnish with a orange wedge, Cherry and Cinnamon stick. Put all ingredients into shaker with ice (shake vigorously). Garnish with mint sprig, slice of orange and cherry. Served chilled.
2. Goombay Smash: This rum-packed delight was created by Miss Emily at the Blue Bee Bar on Great Turtle Cay in the Bahamas. Recipes vary, but this short and sweet one does the trick for us!
1 oz light rum; 1 oz dark rum; 1 oz coconut rum; and 4 oz pineapple juice.
Fill a tall glass with ice, add all ingredients and shake well.
1. Bahama Mama: This isn’t your mama’s fruit drink. Well, maybe it is if your mama is a lot of fun and super cool.
¾ oz coconut rum; ¾ oz banana liquor; 1 oz. spiced rum; 1.5 oz orange juice; 2.5 oz. pineapple juice; 2 – 4 dashes Grenadine; ¼ C. crushed ice; orange or pineapple wedges and Maraschino cherries for garnish. Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Pour into cocktail glass. Garnish and serve!